Monday, December 20, 2010

A picture post of failure

Sometimes you try something new with GREAT success, sometimes you try something which results in failure. If I had planned on making a rice pudding with barely baked bread on the sides and uncooked bread on the bottom, then this would have been a success! Sadly, I was going for a rijstevlaai. A Dutch dessert that is very delicious. It is still very delicious in raw and uncooked and smushy form, but it would've been nice to have it perfect! 

Here is a picture by picture report on how it went wrong, while thinking it went perfect!


This is what you start with, and what you need (I'm putting everything down in grams, cos that just makes so much more sense to me):
  • 25 g butter + extra for greasing 
  • 1100 ml of whole milk 
  • 250 g white bread mix (450 g pack) 
  • 175 g sugar 
  • 1 vanilla pod (1.5 g sachet) (I used vanilla sugar) 
  • 125 g dessert rice  (400 g pack) 
  • 2 cups of whipped cream (250 ml each) 
  • 1 cinnamon stick (20 g bag) (I used regular ground cinnamon) 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 / 2 tablet of dark chocolate 72% (a 100 g)
First you melt the butter (all of it). Then you add 100 ml milk and 100 ml of water. Just heat it up for a bit, recipe says lukewarm, just don't let it boil, I guess.

Put the bread mix in a bowl, sift it first. Add 25 grams of sugar and the previously made butter mixture. It will look like this:

Knead this until it's smooth. You might want to wait for the butter mixture to cool down a bit, cos it will be HOT HOT HOT. It will also knead a bit better I think. I didn't wait and my hands were covered in HOT HOT HOT dough. In the end it felt like a hand peel, my hands were very smooth afterwards. Anyway, leave the dough covered with a damp cloth in a warm place for one hour (in its bowl).

While the dough is left alone for an hour, it's time to start with the rice! You're supposed to cut the vanilla pod and scrape the marrow out with the tip of a knife. I just opened a package of vanilla sugar. Get a pan and add the rice, the remaining milk, 1 cup of cream (250ml), the vanilla pod, the vanilla insides, cinnamon, a pinch of salt and 125 grams of sugar. Bring this to a boil while stirring. Stay near this boiling...

cos mine almost boiled over. BUT I SAVED IT RIGHT ON TIME! Let it cook on low heat for 20 minutes with some stirring from time to time. Let it cool slightly (KEEP IT ALL IN THE PAN!). It will sort of look like this, probably:

Preheat the oven to 175 ° C. Grease the raised edge of the 30cm springform pan (I used a 24cm one, cos we didn't have any bigger) with butter, or just put butter all over it. After the hour is over, and your dough is ready, get the dough and roll it into a circle of +/- 34 cm in diameter. Try to neatly put it into the springform pan. I suggest you don't use that special baking paper in the springform pan, cos the dough will just stick to it and you'll swear for 15 minutes trying to get the paper out of the dough. Also, if you are stubborn and think you could still use paper on the bottom, DON'T DO IT, cos you'll be eating paper with your pie.

Put tiny holes in the bottom with a fork.

Beat the eggs with a mixer until it almost looks white. I'm not sure if I did this right, but whatever.

Add the eggs to the rice mixture. I tried to 'fold' them in, but the recipe never said that that's what you're supposed to do.

Put the rice mixture into the springform pan.

Into the oven it goes, for about 40 minutes. Mine took longer, cos I accidentally put the oven on 125 degrees Celsius, instead of 175 degrees Celsius. (After it cooled down and I removed the springform, it turned out the crust STILL WASN'T DONE, so it's been in the oven for forever and I never got it right. I only realized this later, cos at this point I was still thinking it went great! :( ) Just let it turn a golden brown.

And it's almost done! For the finishing touch whip the remaining cream with the remaining sugar back and forth, I whip my cream back and forth. (That somehow sounds dirtier than I had planned.) Whip it till it's stiff! Yes.
Use a cheesegrater for tiny chocolate gratings/flakes/shards? Thank you very much Google translate! Brush the cream over the vlaai and sprinkle the tiny flakes of chocolate on top. And it might look like this:

Or maybe more like this:

It still looks pretty great there, I didn't take a picture of the disaster that happened when I cut a slice. It is too painful to look at.

BON APETIT! Or eetsmakelijk!

No comments:

Post a Comment